WordPress 2.1 has only been out for a short while (less than 12hrs) and conversations about upgrade issue’s has grown with each passing hour.
This plug-in broke my site, my database needed manual fixes, I had to make changes to my theme, etc. Its safe to say although this upgrade is definitely going to benefit us all, when it does is a matter of interpretation. If you are not a programmer or familiar with WP code then maybe its best to think of this as the ‘early’ early adopters phase and wait a month or so before you upgrade.
If you don’t agree or agree let me know. If you have tried upgrading tell us about your experiences.
Conversations that have started already in the blogosphere:
Scott’s Coffee House
Plugin specific posts – tips can be found in here for where to get compatible plugins, how to test etc.
WordPress 2.1 ‘Ella’ (Download 2.1)is available. If you haven’t heard this is one of the most exciting releases in over a year. I personally was disappointed with the enhancements of 2.0 (I get that it fixed lots of the backend code) but 2.1 is a big step. With a more complete API, a clean import and export feature, and built in AJAX, the future is bright for users and abusers of WordPress (WP).
Below info was stripped right off WordPress.org’s blog.
Here’s a sampling of what’s in the new version:
- Autosave makes sure you never lose a post again.
- Our new tabbed editor allows you to switch between WYSIWYG and code editing instantly while writing a post.
- The lossless XML import and export makes it easy for you to move your content between WordPress blogs.
- Our completely redone visual editor also now includes spell checking.
- New search engine privacy option allows you take you to indicate your blog shouldnt ping or be indexed by search engines like Google.
- You can set any page to be the front page of your site, and put the latest posts somewhere else, making it much easier to use WordPress as a content management system.
- Much more efficient database code, faster than previous versions. Domas Mituzas from MySQL went over all our queries with a fine-toothed comb.
- Links in your blogroll now support sub-categories and you can add categories on the fly.
- Redesigned login screen from the Shuttle project.
- More AJAX to make custom fields, moderation, deletions, and more all faster. My favorite is the comments page, which new lets you approve or unapprove things instantly.
- Pages can now be drafts, or private.
- Our admin has been refreshed to load faster and be more visually consistent.
- The dashboard now instantly and brings RSS feeds asynchronously in the background.
- Comment feeds now include all the comments, not just the last 10.
- Better internationalization and support for right-to-left languages.
- The upload manager lets you easily manage all your uploads pictures, video, and audio.
- A new version of the Akismet plugin is bundled. &and much, much more.
Source: Development Blog : WordPress 2.1 Ella
For more just go to WordPress.org. Download Ella