How silly is the Web 2.0 hype getting? You tell us! Here’s a quick quiz…we looked in 30Boxes and analyzed 37Signals that led us to come up with the 43Things below. So without further ado, can you decide..
Web 2.0 or Star Wars Character?
Have you heard about Meebo? Meebo is one of many Ajaxy style web services that are trying to get you to ditch your trusty desktop IM software e.g. Yahoo, MSN, etc and use their all-in-one web based software aka SaaS.
Well its not that simple. They actually provide a four five great reasons to switch to their service over your current IM software.
- They run on multiple networks: Yahoo, MSN, Google Talk, AIM, ICQ, etc.
- Firewall – No problem
- No Viruses!! Yup since they are running the software you must actively screw up to get a virus e.g click on a link from a mate that thinks its funny to infect your computer.
- It records all chat conversations so you have a complete history (you can turn this off if you like) and those histories are kept online and therefore you can view them wherever you are office or home.
- And lastly the best reason MEEBOME
Meebome is the reason for this post. I started using the service on my blog (I use WordPress for my blog software) just a couple weeks ago, it was easy to get set up on my site, there were a variety of sizes to choose from, and best of all it worked right away and has been without problems since.
What does Meebome do, well it allows anyone that lands on your site to connect directly with you via IM without needing to have the same IM client as you. I was recently talking with a contact in Romania and he was using a Mac and for some reason couldn’t use any of the IM’s I use so instead I said hop on my website and we can IM from there. Worked like a charm and was quick and easy to use.
There are a few-ish features that I feel are sourly missing though, they are:
- I need to be able to archive important conversations I have through my MeeboMe widget. When I archive them I should be able to rename them to something appropriate and file them away or
- they should have an email me a transcript function. Then I could email it to Gmail and have google search at my disposal whenever I need to find something important from those conversations.
- I need a widget that tells me when someone has started to speak through my Meebo whether its a MeeboMe random or a friend from the other IM’s. I just can’t sit there with the screen open the whole time as some of us have to work. If a little widget could sit in my system tray just to tell me when a conversation is initiated that would be great. I can keep the conversation going once its started so no reminders please.
- The colour scheme. Meebo, is your brand more valuable because the colours are yours but I hate what it does to my blog or more valuable because I continue to use your service and the colours are consistent with my look but with your name and link? I am in favour of the latter obviously, but I don’t think its just opinion, there is a good business reason too.
- I would like to have MeeboMe integrated into my Comments area and have a forum for my readers below each post ex. Newsvine
I am sure to come up with more, but will hold steady for now.